Our minister is:
Revd Carole Holmes
Foolish Dick (Hampton) was a founder member of the church and self-appointed preacher around Cornwall and into Devon. A simpleton, who found a gift for preaching, was born in a cottage just below the chapel (Now Vine Cottage). As part of our 200-year celebrations in 1996, a play about Foolish Dick, written by Andrew Chapple, was performed both in the chapel and at Gwennap Pit. A history of the chapel, entitled “Foolish Dick and his Chapel at Porthtowan”, is available at the chapel. It was written by Thomas Shaw in 1992, and re-printed and up-dated to 2000 by Ron George.
The Society was founded in 1796. Meetings were held in a nearby cottage or, when not convenient, under a cherry tree in the garden. The logo represents these early arrangements.
The Banner hangs in the chapel to commemmorate 200 years of worship in the village. It was designed and made by Gladys Pease, one of our chapel members. Gladys has produced several smaller banners that are hung in the chapel at times apropriate to the subject.